Discovery Inc is one of the world’s leading media firms, headquartered in the US but with a significant presence in Stockholm and a cutting edge technology stack.
Discovery wishes to hire a Principal Software Engineer to join their Direct-to-Consumer platform team in Stockholm. This is a very senior role within the team, providing significant technical leadership / coaching in terms of Java-based development and architecture, but without man management responsibilities.
Reflecting the seniority of the role, there is a very competitive package on offer including stock options, a generous bonus scheme and a monthly salary between 110,000 to 120,000 SEK.
The ideal candidate has a track record of having built multiple high-performance, stable, scalable systems that have been successfully shipped to customers in production. Your work and your approach to work are exemplary: you drive best practices and set standards for your team. You are a key influencer in your team’s strategy and contribute significantly to team planning. You show good judgment making trade-offs between immediate and long-term business needs. You are a collaborative leader that makes other engineers and team members around you more productive, by sharing your knowledge, and helping to tie-break key technical decisions. You provide mentoring to other engineers.
- Proficient in Java and multiple other languages.
- Persistence and caching solutions such as PostgreSQL, Redis, ElasticSearch, Caffeine.
- Microservice-based architectures using gRPC and Kafka for interservice communication.
- Asynchronous, non-blocking, functional style of programming and experience implementing with frameworks such as Spring WebFlux, Node.js, vert.x
- Usage and deep understanding of Docker, Kubernetes, and AWS.
- Experience of building, operating, and truly owning services. Implementing alerting,
- metrics, and logging using Prometheus, CloudWatch, Kibana, Pag
- You lead design reviews for complex systems within your department and participate in technology reviews throughout the company.
- You continuously bring business context and customer focus to decisions made within and across groups. You balance tactical results with strategic incremental investments.
- You decompose complex problems into simple, straight-forward solutions. You have contributed to the company’s intellectual property with the software that you design and develop.
- You take a broad view of the platform influencing software, operations, and planning decisions beyond your immediate area. You frequently are consulted as an expert in performance, scalability, enterprise system architecture, and engineering best practices.
- You are a key influencer in your department’s strategy and contribute significantly to the department’s planning. You show good judgement making trade-offs between immediate and long -term business needs. You are a collaborative leader that makes other engineers and team members around you more productive, by sharing your knowledge, and helping to tie-break key technical decisions. You provide mentoring to other engineers and your success is judged as much on your own productivity as on the positive impact you have on engineers around you.
- You are an effective communicator as exemplified by your technical documentation, and your interactions with stakeholders and adjacent teams. You represent key subjects within our platform at any level of stakeholder engagement. You make the most technically deep topics approachable for less experienced readers and listeners.